The ScrubThis ultra moisturizing exfoliant is ideal for dry winter skin! Made of shea butter, coconut oil, jojoba oil, vodka (yes, vodka, hence the pink grapefruit-tini!) and, of course, sugar - although I avoid putting sugar in my body, it actually does wonder for your skin! Let me explain...
- Sugar is a natural humectant, meaning that it draws moisturize from the environment into the skin. This is why I use sugar instead of salt, which actually dries-out your skin.
- Sugar is an excellent exfoliant and removes dead skin cells from your skin, leaving behind a youthful glow.
- It contains alpha hydroxy acid, also found in lemons, which is helpsful for regenerating new skin cells.
- Glycolic acid and alpha-hydroxy acid, both found in sugar, also help to balance the oils in your skin.
How to UseIn the shower, scoop a small about of Pink Grapefruit-tini sugar scrub into your finger tips, and massage, in small circles, all over you body! Rinse with warm water, and pat dry. If you're going to use this on your face, be extremely gentle!
Modern Hippie Tip...Keep the container and wrapping eco-friendly! Package the scrub in a small, mason jar that you can re-purpose. Wrap it in a brown, paper bag and tie it with a festive ribbon, or wrap it in cloth, the Furoshiki way! Label it with "how to use" instructions as well as the recipe - truly the gift that keeps on giving!
- 200 grams Sugar (a little less than 1 cup) White or Brown (brown is softer, white holds coulour)
- 30 grams
coconut oil(2 tbsp)
- 30 grams
shea butter(2 tbsp)
- 20 grams
jojoba oil(1 tbsp + 1 tsp) (can substitute for another carrier oil such as grape seed, avocado or olive)
- 20 grams vodka (1 tbsp + 1 tsp)
- Pinch of
Beet Root Powder(optional, for colour)
- 20 drops
Pink Grapefruit essential oil
- Melt the coconut oil and shea butter using a double-boiler method. Do do this, add the ingredients to a medium, metal (or glass, but not plastic) mixing bowl, and sit the bowl in a pan of simmering water.
- Once the coconut oil and shea butter have melted, transfer the bowl to the refrigerator or an ice bath.
- Once the mixture is opaque, and no longer liquid, gradually stir in the sugar.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until they are fully combined.
- Transfer the Pink Grapefruit Sugar Scrub into small, containers (mason jars?) for gifts!
Want to try it?
I sell an awesome DIY kit that includes the ingredients for this recipe and some other, great DIY skin care recipes. You can find it in the Modern Hippie Shop!